Big changes announced! Highlights, based on my reading of the rules. So check the rules. Link below:
- More FRS & GMRS frequencies
- GMRS digital systems will be approved
- FCC will be certifying FRS radios up to 2 watts PEP. (Previously limited to 0.5 W)
- FCC will no longer certify FRS devices that incorporate GMRS capabilities
- Existing GMRS/FRS combination radios that operate at power levels of less than 2 W ERP will be reclassified as FRS devices;
- Existing GMRS/FRS radios that operate above 2 W PEP will be reclassified as GMRS devices, requiring an individual license. (Rumors were out that FCC might eliminate the requirement for GMRS.)
- As I read it, they are maintaining the frequencies shared by GMRS and FRS. But, they’re just going to allow FRS/GMRS combination radios.
- DXing will be officially permitted on CB.
The new rules: https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-344617A1.pdf